Muddymoles mountain biking in the Surrey Hills and Mole Valley

The Wheelie bar – training aid for pulling wheelies?

Posted by Matt | May 11, 2010 | 7 comments so far

The wheelie bar, to help you pull a wheelie on your bike
There’s two stages in anybody’s bike education. The first, and most important of course is to master the art of riding on two wheels with no visible means of support. Not always as easy as it seems it must be said.

The second, which usually follows close on the first, is how to pull wheelies.

This is an ambition I think all of us have, and have had since the age of six or so. It just looks so cool after all but many of us rarely progress beyond the ambition stage. I can just about get the front wheel up but can’t in any truthfulness reliably maintain a wheelie for any length of time. With clipless pedals I prefer not to try for fear of not being able to unclip.

Maybe, what I need is the wheelie bar, discovered on the PeoplesBike website and shown here assisting a rider pull a wheelie (without him managing look cool it must be said). With a bit of quiet practice (and some flat pedals) maybe one day I too could impress my peers with some rad skillz.

It’s not too late, surely!!

Matt

About the author

Matt is one of the founding Molefathers of the Muddymoles, and is the designer and main administrator of the website.

Having ridden a 2007 Orange Five for many years then a 2016 YT Industries Jeffsy 29er, he now rocks a Bird Aether 9 and a Pace RC-627.

An early On-One Inbred still lurks in the back of the stable as a reminder of how things have moved on. You can even find him on road bikes - currently a 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105 SE, a much-used 2011 Specialized Secteur and very niche belt drive Trek District 1.

If you've ever wondered how we got into mountain biking and how the MuddyMoles started, well wonder no more.

There are 7 comments on ‘The Wheelie bar – training aid for pulling wheelies?’

We love to get comments from our readers - if you've spent a few moments to comment, thank-you.

If you haven't had a chance yet, jump to our comments form if you have something to say.

1. tony says:

Do they do one in pink for you Matt?

2. James says:

Not so sure this is actually an aid, could be a hindrance in my opinion.

Wheelies are all in the back brake, along with some good balance and endless practice.

I once went to a wheelie school for motorbikes where they used a bar at the back so when the back was miles past the balance point, think nearly bolt upright, the bar struck the ground deposited the motorbike back down (hard) and took your nuts out in the process on the fuel tank – the latter part was good motivation for cracking the art of wheelies.

Motorbike wheelie schools favour cut out switches (for the throttle) bars on the back, for cycling don’t think anything like this is needed, just a decent back brake to stop the bike doing a full loop.

Look at youtube Jarextreme – best wheelie person I’ve found in there.

3. ric newton says:

Hi how would I get hold of a modon day wheelie bar? Do you have any more info on this item please.

Any idea on costings please

Thanks Ric

4. DandyC says:

Hi Ric – I guess from your website that you’re talking about motorcycle wheelie bars here.

A quick google of ‘wheelie bars for motorcycles’ brings up articles on how to make your own or bars for drag racing Harleys. Looks like you might have to go the ‘make your own’ route for whatever bikes you run. Hope this helps.

5. Rohel miah says:

I am look for wheelie bar for bike bmx and I want buy then please let me know ok

6. Vito Logiudice says:

How can I buy one of those wheelie bars?

7. JaKobi Davis says:

where do I get one

Leave a comment…

Have your say – we'd love to hear what you think.

If you have something to add, just complete this comment form (we will not publish your email address).

*Required information.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.