Muddymoles mountain biking in the Surrey Hills and Mole Valley

Ride report 10/02/13 – Mole Hole Flooded

Posted by DaveC | February 10, 2013 | 13 comments so far

Moles at Rest

The only reason I can think that 10 Moles turned out to ride in such foul weather is that their Mole Holes had flooded!

Breaking my first rule of riding, which is “never leave the house when it’s raining”, I decided I had to get out and put some miles in rather than just fettling in the garage. I also needed to deliver JR’s new horn that had arrived too late for the offical prize giving.

I was surprised to see 10 of us as Tony, James, JR, Kev, Andrew, Al, Tony2, Tim and JonH joined me to get wetter than we already were. In order to avoid some mud we took a rather circular root via the saw mill climb and then Jem’s Favourite in reverse before a bit of road work and then across the lower vinyard track towards the back end of Dorking. The mud was thick and gloopy but we missed most of the water.

Tony about to ride off

We took the bridleway up to the top of McPhersons and then took it “easy” down and across to Westcott. From there to took our normal route to Abinger Roughs and on to pop out near the Volunteer pub. We lost Timbo on the Roughs with an Avid pad spring being chewed up in his front brake. After removing the offending spring he headed off home with Tony, who is on a short leash at the moment.

The road seemed the safest bet and so we slogged out way up to the YHA and regrouped. Here Al had decided to head straight to BKB as time was pressing on a little and he headed off. In my head I had it in mind we were headed for a gnarly little descent (“dude”) and sure enough I plunged in following Al and Jon, listening for carnage behind me. Apparently none happened other than a few riders being put off by a determined lone cyclist and two collies who passed me on the later climb at some speed.


BKB was riding well and I left some gap to JR before following the other down, making the most of the excellent surface for the wet. Now our goal had been reached and we restocked on cheese straws, flapjack+ and three chocolate shortbread.


Enthusiasm was waning and were were proper wet and cold as we headed back to Ranmore taking in some road and climbing up White Down on the tarmac. Yew Trees took us down home with the final tarmac climb and Kev and I road through the carpark saying our good byes on the move, not wanting to get any colder. I’m glad I was out but please, can we have some dry weather soon?

Filed under Rides in February 2013


About the author

Dave's been riding seriously since about 1997 and is one of the founding Molefathers — along with Matt and Mark — that came up with the idea of a MTB website for Mole Valley riders.

He's had several different bikes but it's now mainly 29ers in Dave's stable, apart from an Orange 5.

Current Bikes: Orange 5, Salsa Spearfish and Kona Big Unit

There are 13 comments on ‘Ride report 10/02/13 – Mole Hole Flooded’

We love to get comments from our readers - if you've spent a few moments to comment, thank-you.

If you haven't had a chance yet, jump to our comments form if you have something to say.

  1. Markymark says:

    Superb effort! Looks like a few more Moles steadily coming out of hibernation.

    It was hard enough on the road yesterday…

  2. Big al says:

    It was a war of attrition by the end . But I’m glad I made the effort to get out and ride and it was almost Fun at times !

  3. Dandy says:

    Good effort, I was with you ‘in spirit’

  4. LordOnOne says:

    Disappointing to see the recent small improvement in ground conditions has returned to what is now weeks away from being a year of saturation. Fun, fun, fun!

  5. kevs2010 says:

    Seeing another 9 Moles ready to rumble at Bocketts car park was a surprise given the conditions, I guess most of us were desperate to get out and put some “real” miles in.

    I think we can all hold our heads up high for a: leaving the house while it was raining and b: remaining upright in cold wet muddy conditions!

    Hands and feet were cold and soaked through by the time we got back to Bocketts and headed home.
    Luckily er indoors was out when I returned so was able to dump all my wet muddy kit on the kitchen floor without being shouted at and headed for a bath, having first pinched some of her most expensive bubble bath!
    Eeek, hope she doesnt read this stuff! 🙁

  6. Tony says:

    Timbo and I headed back early. Back along to white down (off road please!) which was a slog then slipping along collarbone and badger run. Followed by Yew Trees and Polesden. We discussed folding bikes most of the way back. Although strictly for Tarmac use 🙂

    I don’t think that I’ve been that Muddy for ages.

  7. DaveW says:

    Well done lads. What a shame I couldn’t make it this week…

  8. Ray k says:

    I got up dressed ,even got my bike out but sorry I just couldn’t face even the ride out. Shamefully I went back to bed. I lift my snout to the true Muddy moles ,well done. Ray K

  9. timbo says:

    that was good fun, i now need to sort that brake spring out,

    Ended up hosing the bike and me down before even thinking of presenting myself at the front door !

  10. muddyjohn says:

    It was a much tougher ride than I thought it would be when I left the house – the light mizzle got heavier, and the ground got wetter. So the suggestion to take the road back up Whitedown and along to Yew Trees was very welcome.

    But after all that it was good to be out – especially in retrospect when lying in a hot bath with a cup of tea.

    And thanks to Muddy dave for giving me the horn – I’ll make good use of it next time I’m out.

Leave a comment…

Have your say – we'd love to hear what you think.

If you have something to add, just complete this comment form (we will not publish your email address).

*Required information.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.