Muddymoles mountain biking in the Surrey Hills and Mole Valley

Ride report: Sunday 30 May – Leith Hill

Posted by Matt | May 31, 2010 | 8 comments so far

A Bank Holiday ride and typically it seemed as though Bank Holiday weather would be served up after a damp Saturday. Fortunately, just for once we got the better of the weekend after the Femoles got soaked on Saturday.

It didn’t save me from the dog house though after a late return home, but that was just unfortunate. It’s just a shame that after a fast forty minutes or so in the breakaway group I got home to find that all I’d done was make the pain start earlier! Even a full apology and admission of wrong didn’t help me overmuch!

So why were we so late? Well, to be honest I don’t know since it felt like we were on the move pretty steadily all morning and I only had 25 miles notched by the time I got home. Hardly in the epic league but some of it was quite arduous I guess.

Starting from the Bockett’s car park we had ten riders in a group that included JamesH on a weekend pass, Andrew, BiketechMark, DaveC, Keith, Paul901, Andy661, MarkW, DaveS and myself. I was once more on the singlespeed, prompted partly by the damp the day before (the tyres on the Orange are now too much of a wet-weather liability) and partly by a dodgy trigger shifter that’s stopping me getting into the big ring. I figured I might as well stick to one gear.

Unlike Wednesday’s struggle, running the singlespeed turned out to be ideal. I’ve done so many miles on it now that it’s handling is pretty much second nature and I made as much of it as I could.

First off we headed off to Yew Trees followed by the sharp climb up to Ranmore. It’s a lung-buster or as I prefer to think of it, a lung-stretcher and so we were strung out along the Ranmore climb. I was quite happy to spin along and talk to whoever was in reach rather than put in too much early effort.

Our regroup at the top lead next on to the Land Rover descent down to Westcott, with a few of our group tackling it for the first time. Not for the faint hearted and despite my picking my way carefully over the rooty steps I found it surprisingly low on grip and ended up chucking the bike into the gulleys and riding them out.

Everyone made it down in one piece with some of us preferring to play the long game rather than crash and burn, a sensible choice. Just how tricky the damp chalk could be was soon demonstrated by DaveC’s over-the-bars dive as we headed down to the railway line as the over grown chalk gulley bit him back. Fortunately without significant injury but it was a useful reminder that rain on top of recent dust can make things quite unpredictable.

We were soon underway again though, and headed for the Rookery climb which despite it’s steepness is quite do-able even on a singlespeed. I prefer to take the early approach quite easy though! At the top I was pleased to see the group was holding together quite well, Andy661 in particular doing much better now he’s got a few miles under his belt and a shiny new Whyte E-120 XT.

Another (unrelated) group arriving gave us the prompt to push on up Wolverns Lane. It’s combination of singletrack, small technical sections and flowing speed is one that suits me rather well and I agree with BiketechMark that it’s one of the few trails that’s just as much fun up as well as down. Having the Inbred and an ideal gear for the trail helps hugely though.

PaulB took a bit of a tumble at one point, necessitating a brief bit of brake tinkering from Dave while we chatted to some guys who’d be on an all-nighter on the hills but after that we got back in the groove and headed up to the bombholes past Summer Lightning which brought us inevitably to the top of Deliverance.

Now, despite feeling comfortable on the Inbred I always give this one a lot of respect and was hesitating at the top when James decided to go for it. This was sufficient to tempt me into a cautious descent down what is one of the biggest and baddest descents on the Surrey Hills. I know there’s more technical stuff but this one’s a challenge requiring a careful approach speed followed by smooth braking. And when you’re on it, you have to commit, there’s no bailout option. I was pleased to get to the bottom without anyone seeing my contorted grimace!

The bike felt good.

We continued up to the Tower, I thoroughly enjoyed the approach trails and gulleys at speed, as well as the big—nameless so far—roll-in at the bottom of the climb but was disappointed not the clean the climb. Tiring legs, an increasingly wayward line and a misplaced root put paid to that. Even so, Keith and MarkW (amongst others I think) were able to make it look easier than I did.

A couple of medicinal Eccles cakes and and cup of coffee at the Tower and then it was off to do some exploring. Maybe this is where our time started to ebb away or maybe we’d been setting a slower pace than I thought. It didn’t feel it though.

MarkW took over to guide us toward Windy Willow and a side of Leith Hill we don’t often get to (I’ve no idea why). What a great complex of trails, some fast and flowing, others more technical in nature that had us testing our slow-speed balance and manouvering. The trails were in great nick, slightly damp from the previous day—meaning a bit of caution on roots—but overall the classic pine scented Leith loam you’d expect. Marvellous stuff!

After a lot of fun we arrived on the long drag to the Tower we sometimes take but rather than opt to head straight down, which would have given us a miserable climb anyway, we crossed over to climb back up toward the bombhole area along a tricky, rocky, nasty little climb.

The initial forty yards or so was probably the worst, accounting for several riders who were caught out by the unfamiliar terrain causing them to stall. JamesH suffered a broken chain but it sounded like a lot of other riders were putting their drivetrains through hell.

DaveC shot up at high speed on his Scandal and I was pleased to get the singlespeed up without mishap, a combination of luck, core strength and ‘bike shagging’ getting me over the steepest rock step. I’ve always thought of the technique, so difficult to describe, as being like rowing a bike up and over stuff so bike shagging was a new one to me!

This wasn’t the end of the climb though as with a good view of the Tower in the distance the rocky road seemed to surprise us with extra turns and calls for extra spurts of effort but the worst was over. I think this is more fun in the other direction and recall riding it in the past.

Soon we were back near the bombholes and Summer Lightning. I followed MarkW for much of this and despite me giving it a good go he promptly disappeared into the distance. Pausing for a few moments for everyone to catch up after the first section we then blasted down the second and final stages in quick succession, I could hear Dave having fun behind me but had no time to investigate.

Overall it was a fast run despite a few moments with my weight in the wrong place and I wasn’t too far behind MarkW without feeling I was holding anyone up. In fact it felt like I had the trail to myself. By the time I pulled alongside Mark though my pulse was saying 174 and I was knackered! In fact, I think we all were as with little rest we got underway again.

To be honest I think this is the only way to ride Summer Lightning and Wolverns that follows, just string it together for best effect. I grabbed an energy gel at one point but we all just cracked on, trying to keep the flow going, grabbing the small jumps as they came up.

At one point I thought I’d over done it as my bike landed very tail heavy off my favourite log but I’d rather than than nose-heavy! The final crescendo as we arrived at the top of the Rookery was a hoot. Rebas, Elixirs and an Inbred felt just great!

Retracing our earlier wheel tracks down the Rookery we decided the High Mediterranean trackway was our best bet for home with time getting on. I think we were all starting to flag as the surprisingly warm midday sun took it’s effect. A breakway group formed up with everyone’s agreement consisting of those who were definitely in trouble already while the others followed on, so it was time to start spinning.

What followed was a pretty intense workout as we put in a solid pace up the hill that continued unabated when up on Ranmore. The tarmac did me no favours on my single gear and it was all I could do to keep up but I was happy enough as the inclines had a shortening effect on the gap.

Even so, despite slowing for horses and walkers by the time we’d hit the Polesden road I was off the back of the group (a brief chat to one of my son’s school friends didn’t help) and the final run down Admiral’s track had me hanging in the saddle.

I think overall this was one of my best rides of recent weeks. It had some challenges, the bike felt hard-wired into my brain, I did Deliverance, Windy Willow was a blast and I had a decent workout at the end. It’s just a shame for my weekend that estimated arrival times can be a bit unreliable!

Filed under Rides in May 2010


About the author

Matt is one of the founding Molefathers of the Muddymoles, and is the designer and main administrator of the website.

Having ridden a 2007 Orange Five for many years then a 2016 YT Industries Jeffsy 29er, he now rocks a Bird Aether 9 and a Pace RC-627.

An early On-One Inbred still lurks in the back of the stable as a reminder of how things have moved on. You can even find him on road bikes - currently a 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105 SE, a much-used 2011 Specialized Secteur and very niche belt drive Trek District 1.

If you've ever wondered how we got into mountain biking and how the MuddyMoles started, well wonder no more.

There are 8 comments on ‘Ride report: Sunday 30 May – Leith Hill’

We love to get comments from our readers - if you've spent a few moments to comment, thank-you.

If you haven't had a chance yet, jump to our comments form if you have something to say.

  1. Dave says:

    A cracking ride and huge improvements noticed from a number of riders.

    I particularly like all the techy stuff over at Leith Hill, much more my cup of tea.

    I had words with the Scandal in the afternoon and told it to stop squeaking or I’d replace it with a Pipe Dream. Brakes went quite again.

  2. D'AndyC says:

    Sounds like a great ride guys, on Sunday morning I was cleaning the bog in my son’s flat before driving the 300 miles down to London from Newcastle. Still, we did have an enjoyable pint or 5 and a ruby the night before (no direct correlation with the cleaning activities!).

    I managed to get out on the BH Monday, and with all the family in bed left the house at 0730 to ride from Kingston down to Box Hill. I followed a route that, after about 3 miles of road, takes me off-road via the Hogs Mill river walk, Horton Country Park, Ashtead Common, then the Stane Street Roman road onto Mickleham Downs.

    I came down Chain Breaker, then for the first time ever I cleaned the rooty, steppy climb up to High Ashurst. A sharp left at the top took me onto Headley Heath to the start of Secret Singletrack; that is so good at the moment, before the bracken overpowers it, that I doubled back to ride it again. Then it was back to Mickleham Downs and Chain Breaker again, flushed with success (keeping up the bog references) I fancied another crack at the High Ashurst climb.

    Clearly the power coming out of my thighs at the moment is too much for normal bike components, as on dropping into the granny ring at the start of the climb, something went horribly wrong and the chain managed to rip out two chain ring bolts and mangle the granny ring completely.

    More comedy was to follow, where I was forced to remove one of my disposable contact lenses so that I could actually see what had happened. I think I’m going to have to bring a pair of reading glasses out with me for any future emergencies requiring close inspection.

    I eventually managed to free the chain and straighten the ring so it wasn’t fouling on the frame.

    Seeing as I was now middle ring only, my options were to return home or head down the road (via Juniper Lodge) and then up the main Box Hill climb for some cake and coffee. No contest, and I managed the climb in about 8 mins 30 secs, which was pretty good going for me. I don’t have a digital watch so it might even have been 7’30” but I don’t want to claim that as it could be wishful thinking and I will get shown up horribly the next time I attempt it.

    After fortifying myself with coffee and cake, it was down China Pig then the climb up Stane Street and back to Kingston. All in all a cracking ride (apart from the ring explosion – not a toilet reference). Probably about 35 miles in 4 hours of riding, plus an hour for mechanicals and refreshments.

    I might even think of riding down to the Sunday start at Bocketts this w/e, as long as I don’t have a curry on Sat night. I don’t normally have the same domestic duties on a Sunday as you chaps with younger families, so a return at 2pm is not normally so disastrous.

  3. kc says:

    Great mixture of terrain to cover on Sunday and certainly tested (or exposed) skills that you have or have not got. I particularly liked the Windy Willow section.

    Interesting that both Inbred riders chose to do Deliverance and yet I sat on my 5 looking pensively down at a challenge one day (when dry) I will have to try.

    As an aside, has anybody been bitten to death? I guess it was Weds night but my lower legs are covered in bites!

    Note to self, must ride faster to escaoe these peskie blighters!

  4. Andrew (Turner rider) says:

    Also covered in bites!

    I was thinking it was Swinley yesterday but must have been Sundays ride.

  5. Paul901 says:

    All of these rides are new to me and hard work as will be obvious by now. I know that being at the back of the group means if it’s not someone else’s mechanical troubles then they are probably waiting for me. Having said that, I am amazed at the technical ability of the group over some of the terrain underneath the wheels. I have no problem seeing breakaway groups if separate fast and slow groups are not feasible, if I know how to get back I am happy to do so.

    More firsts for me on this ride. First puddles the Whyte 901 has been through, lame ones no doubt. First crash, actually a lame sideways stall at zero speed which broke the pump holder, twisted the bars off centre and my operated knee took the brunt, hopefully no damage in there but won’t know until I ride later today. First proper crash on the downhill of Leith Hill, I hesitated before remarking to Matt how good it felt that sometimes I was held up by others in front rather than my limitations. Seconds later my face was in the dirt, the bike having bucked twice and then for what seemed like an eternity I knew the bike had not yet landed. Oh sh… it did so on my back and head. Bike and I both seemed okay.

    Both legs seized with cramp on the climb just before the valley across to Ranmore Road and yet I was beginning to feel good at that point. Not surprising on a 4 to 5 hour ride though, on the road I always use zero 5 or Nuun but I only put water in the Camelbak. The group had broken away by the time we got onto Ranmore Road and ironically I found my roadie rhythm right until the end at Bocketts. Thanks to Dave for looking after us by the way.

    Andy’s more expensive Whyte got a lot of attention which was good from my perspective in attempting to lie low. Incidentally, I got an email from Whyte acknowledging my online registration recently and sending me the free first service voucher. All par for the course but I did not expect that there will be 3 other free inspections within the first 2 years. I have not seen this with my other bikes.

    I expect you guys all feel fine whereas for 2 days my torso, shoulders and arms have felt battered and bruised from the ride plus a bruised foot courtesy of a tree stump. My consolation was a peaceful day (no current nagger!) so I had a soak in the bath, ate well then went off to Bushy Park for a stroll, MP3 and ice cream.

  6. Andy661 says:

    What a difference a day makes, or rather a few more quid than I’d care to mention!

    Had the unique experience of the peloton this weekend and loved it! Hopefully more to come. Tied up this weekend, then one more weekend and then its Mountain Mayhem!!

    Yes I am loving the Whyte. It did help but as I think Matt suggested maybe it helped my mind as well as my legs! I certainly felt I was pushing bigger gears nearly the whole ride which kept me more in contact until the last climb after the valley.

    That said a very long week, a wedding reception til 2am that morning and only a banana pre-ride might mean there’s more in the tank for more organised weekends.

    A really enjoyable ride made all the more so by the support and nods from the faster riders as I appeared in seconds as opposed to minutes at the tops of climbs.

    Thanks chaps.

    And my legs were savaged somewhere along the line!


  7. MarkW says:

    The phrase “time fly’s when you are having fun” was the case for me on Sundays ride, thoroughly enjoyable all round. Loved the technical stuff felt I could push it bit, there was also a couple bits when I could catch some air, I need practice though! Definitely, think I’m getting addicted to this MTB stuff! looking forward to the next ride……

    Good work fella’s



  8. BiketechMark says:

    Excellent ride! Great pace back up over the North Downs too, my speedo showed betw 10-11mph up that section which is at the higher end of the climbing scale i guess (certainly felt like it). Looking forward to Weds nite ride…

Leave a comment…

Have your say – we'd love to hear what you think.

If you have something to add, just complete this comment form (we will not publish your email address).

*Required information.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.