Do you ever get the feeling that something has got it in for you? Well this week I experienced a “maintenance crisis paranoia”.
How so? Well as you may know I have a small fleet of MTB and things “of the dark side” – a.k.a. road bikes. So last Saturday I went into my garage with a spring in my step looking forward to going out for a ride in the sunshine.
Going to pick up a bike I found:
- Inbred Alfine hub bike. As I wheeled it out of the garage it started crunching. A quick check of the drivetrain showed that the hub cones needed some TLC (off to the bikeshop with the hub for that one). No previous indication of hub needed some TLC in 2 winters of use. Next!
- Clockwork Orange. Quick check over – gears not indexing, no pads left on the rear brakes and chainsuck. More maintainence required. Next!
- Trek Fuel Ex9. Very stiff bottom bracket. Hardly could turn it. Seemed to have seized up since my last ride. Next!
- Mudguard road bike. Gave up with the MTBs at this point. Changed shoes and got as far as the end of the road. Another crunchy BB! Back to the garage. Next!
- Best road bike. Finally a working bike. Bliss. Went out for 1.5 hours and got 2 punctures!
I think some days it’s probably better to stay on the sofa.