Muddymoles mountain biking in the Surrey Hills and Mole Valley

Matt returns

Posted by Matt | October 6, 2008 | 2 comments so far

At last!

Sunday saw me get out on the Orange for the first time in three months (give or take a week) following my broken collarbone. It followed a period of ‘staying active’ by riding on the road, running and swimming but as expected that was no substitute for off road riding.

Saturday saw me running around trying to get the Orange Five sorted out in time. I had a new chainring and bolts to replace the ones that were lost or broken immediately prior to the fateful accident, new brake pads to fit (er, that had also failed prior to the accident) plus new gloves, of which more in a later post.

I also decided to switch my UST tyres round, transferring the badly worn one on the back to the front and switching it round to get some more mileage out of it. Cue much pumpage with my brother’s reluctant assistance. If you want more information, Lee’s recent article on fitting UST tyres covers it pretty well!

Sunday morning featured rain. Jez will tell you that since he’d been out in it until nearly midnight before injury forced him to pull out at the Dusk ’til Dawn event in Thetford — commiserations Jez but there’s always next year.

As I said, Sunday featured rain. Plus wet roots, wet chalk, wet leaves and after a short space of time wet riders. In short, the ride had a high wibble factor for me and highlighted how rusty you can get not riding for three months, even on straightforward trails. I was the Prince of Mince, to steal a phrase from the Chiltern 1st XV.

We created much head shaking amongst the sheltering walkers up at Newlands Corner which had it been warmer and I was properly dressed for the conditions may have made it all worthwhile. As it was, we experienced conditions to tax a Japanese game show contestant during the course of our 26 mile ride, despite Dave P declaring it all a ‘clearing shower’.

On the way back a front tyre losing air actually helped me feel more confidant as the pressure dropped to a more chalk friendly level — riding on the road certainly warps your perception of what a sensible tyre pressure is.

But all in all, it was good to be back and good to ride a healthy distance too. It was great to see everyone (including Rob, returning to action after a far worse injury than mine) so big thanks to all who braved the rain.


About the author

Matt is one of the founding Molefathers of the Muddymoles, and is the designer and main administrator of the website.

Having ridden a 2007 Orange Five for many years then a 2016 YT Industries Jeffsy 29er, he now rocks a Bird Aether 9 and a Pace RC-627.

An early On-One Inbred still lurks in the back of the stable as a reminder of how things have moved on. You can even find him on road bikes - currently a 2019 Cannondale Topstone 105 SE, a much-used 2011 Specialized Secteur and very niche belt drive Trek District 1.

If you've ever wondered how we got into mountain biking and how the MuddyMoles started, well wonder no more.

There are 2 comments on ‘Matt returns’

We love to get comments from our readers - if you've spent a few moments to comment, thank-you.

  1. Dave says:

    Was a blast of a ride, a few weeks solid of single speeding and I’m feeling faster, stronger and apparently 5lb lighter as well.

    Can’t remember the last ride I was so wet… actually it might have been Bedgebury last year now that I think of it ;o)

    Anyway, it was great to see both of you out again.

  2. Jem says:

    Well Matt, glad to hear your first ride went well. I was hoping to come out to, but had wife chores to carry out. hopefully catch up with you soon out on the trails.

Leave a comment…

Have your say – we'd love to hear what you think.

If you have something to add, just complete this comment form (we will not publish your email address).

*Required information.

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.